[PATCH v3 0/4] Improve VCHIQ cache line size handling
flat view
From: Phil Elwell <hidden>
Date: 2018-09-17 18:01:53
Also in:
linux-devicetree
On 17/09/2018 18:51, Florian Fainelli wrote:
On 09/17/2018 04:47 AM, Phil Elwell wrote:quoted
Hi Stefan, On 17/09/2018 12:39, Stefan Wahren wrote:quoted
Hi Phil, Am 17.09.2018 um 10:22 schrieb Phil Elwell:quoted
Both sides of the VCHIQ communications mechanism need to agree on the cache line size. Using an incorrect value can lead to data corruption, but having the two sides using different values is usually worse. In the absence of an obvious convenient run-time method to determine the correct value in the ARCH=arm world, the downstream Raspberry Pi trees used a Device Tree property, written by the firmware, to configure the kernel driver. This method was vetoed during the upstreaming process, so a fixed value of 32 was used instead, and some corruptions ensued. This is take 2 at arriving at the correct value. Add a new compatible string - "brcm,bcm2836-vchiq" - to indicate an SoC with a 64-byte cache line. Document the new string in the binding, and use it on the appropriate platforms. The final patch is a (seemingly cosmetic) correction of the Device Tree "reg" declaration for the device node, but it doubles as an indication to the Raspberry Pi firmware that the kernel driver is running a recent kernel driver that chooses the correct value. As such it would help if the DT patches are not merged before the driver patch. v3: Builds without errors, tested on multiple Raspberry Pi models. v2: Replaced ARM-specific logic used to determine cache line size with a new compatible string for BCM2836 and BCM2837. Phil Elwell (4): staging/vc04_services: Use correct cache line size dt-bindings: soc: Document "brcm,bcm2836-vchiq" ARM: dts: bcm283x: Correct vchiq compatible string ARM: dts: bcm283x: Correct mailbox register sizessince my pull requests are out, would it be okay to apply patch #1 for 4.20 and the DT stuff for 4.21 (with the assumption Rob is okay with these patches)?Patch 4 is the only one I'd like to be delayed, but delaying 2-4 is fine with me.Humm, did you mean you would like not to be delayed? In any case Stefan, you can send an additional pull request, and I will merge it and send a second pull request towards ARM SoC maintainers, that's not a problem.
No, I meant what I wrote - I would prefer patch 1 to be merged before patch 4 (or at least in the same release) to avoid the need for another firmware change, hence delaying patch 4 is good. It makes sense for the other commits to be merged in that order, but the normal compatible-string fallback mechanism means there is no hard dependency there. Phil